The 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway
Sign Up Now For A Chance To Win
Due To Increased Demand On All Testing - Please Anticipate A Longer Than Normal Fulfillment Time - Thank You For Your Patience
Due To Increased Demand On All Testing - Please Anticipate A Longer Than Normal Fulfillment Time - Thank You For Your Patience
3 DAY FLASH SALE – 15% off DNA360 Reports – NO COUPON REQUIRED, Discount Automatically Applied At Checkout

Genetic Study Shows Less Than 50% of People Have Autism Protection Gene


Does my child have autism?

If you’re a parent, you want what’s best for your children. There is nothing you wouldn’t do for them. What happens when they have a challenging issue like autism to overcome?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 1 in 54 children are diagnosed with autism disorder. That’s a higher percentage than children with celiac disease.

There are several genes that could lead to autism spectrum disorder. The DNA Company recently conducted a genetic study with these startling results: less than 50% of people have the optimal version of the autism protection gene. Where does that leave the other 50%?

In most cases, there are ways you can mitigate the effects of suboptimal genes that lead to autism. If your child has certain variations of these genes, there could be hope for improving their autism symptoms.

What’s the difference between ADHD and autism?

It’s common to mix up attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism disorder. This is because the symptoms can seem similar at first glance. Both disorders are typically found in children.

Kids with ADHD tend to have trouble focusing, constantly jumping from one task to another. They can’t sit still, and they’re always chattering. Autistic children, on the other hand, usually exhibit intense concentration on a specific item. They can display repetitive movements as well as impaired social interaction.

The best way to find out whether your child has ADHD or autism is to ask your doctor. She can provide you with a more complete picture of what your child’s specific needs are. Note that it is possible for children to have both ADHD and autism.

The autism gene

The gene that is most often referred to as the autism gene is called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR). Don’t worry, you only need to remember the acronym.

The MTHFR gene impacts your methylation cycle, which is a cellular process that allows your body to counter inflammation. If you have a suboptimal version of this gene, you’re more likely to have a poor anti-inflammatory response at the cellular level.

About 25% of children who have autism spectrum disorder have the suboptimal version of the MTHFR gene. These cases tend to be more severe than the other 75%. Genetic researchers are working hard to find a cure in the form of a genetic switch.

When it comes to autism and genetics, much of the medical community is solely focused on the MTHFR gene. While this is certainly important for the 25% of cases described above, it leaves out the other 75% of kids who don’t have a mutated MTHFR gene.

Focusing on the MTHFR gene alone gives an incomplete picture of whether a child will have autism or not. It’s like assuming your fever is caused by COVID-19 when it could be the result of a number of other possibilities instead. Having the optimal version of the MTHFR gene could still result in the development of autism disorder, depending on whether one has the suboptimal version of the other relevant genes.

Does my child have autism?

Let’s take a look at the other genes that may be responsible for autism. These genes all relate to your body’s ability to detoxify itself. The detoxification process is vital for maintaining strong immunity.

The GSTT1 enzyme (determined by the GSTT1 gene) works in your lungs to bind toxins and then send those toxins to your liver so you can urinate them out. The GSTM1 enzyme (connected to the GSTM1 gene) does the same thing but works with toxins in your gut rather than your lungs.

You’re supposed to receive two copies of each of these genes, one from each of your parents. However, it’s possible to have a missing copy, which results in problems with your detox pathway. If you have zero or one copy of either of these genes, your cells are more at risk of being damaged by toxins and oxidants.

The third gene that influences your body’s detoxification is the GSTP1 gene, which is associated with the GSTP1 enzyme. While you can’t have a missing copy of the GSTP1 gene, you can have a suboptimal version that negatively impacts your detox pathway. The GSTP1 enzyme is responsible for clearing the toxins from your blood.

Having the suboptimal version of any of these three genes can make you more vulnerable to neurological inflammation caused by chemicals. This inflammation in the brain can cause some children to develop autism spectrum disorder.

Another group of genes that impacts whether or not a child has autism is the methylation genes. Methylation is a cellular process meant to counter inflammation. The FUT2, MTR, and MTRR genes play a huge role in your methylation cycle. Having the suboptimal version of any of these genes puts you at greater risk of inflammation and the disorders associated with that, including autism.

These are the 75% of autistic kids who don’t have the mutated version of the MTHFR gene. Instead, they have at least one suboptimal version of these detoxification and methylation genes. They tend to develop autism at some point in childhood, unlike the 25% who typically have autism from birth.

When studying genetics, it’s vital to look at the entire system rather than honing in on only one particular gene within the system. By checking genes holistically, we are able to pinpoint the cause of autism and take steps to mitigate symptoms.

The DNA Company has been partnering with Autism Hope Alliance to help autistic children who don’t have the suboptimal version of the MTHFR gene get the medical recognition and treatment they need. These kids have seen drastic improvement after following the treatment plan recommended by experts.

How to treat autism

Because these genes all center on detoxification, having the suboptimal version of any of them means you need to carefully cultivate a toxin-free environment. The fewer toxins that enter your body, the better.

Here are some of the ways you can work with your child to mitigate the negative effects of these genes and improve the symptoms of autism:

  • Get plenty of rest and recovery between periods of exercise
  • Eat more citrus fruit to increase vitamin C
  • Make sure to get enough deep sleep at night
  • Avoid exposure to heavy chemicals, mold, pesticides, and other toxic substances
  • Drink herbal teas such as milk thistle and dandelion root
  • Eat plenty of bitter vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, collard greens, radishes, arugula, and brussels sprouts
  • Take supplements such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), selenium, manganese, and alpha-lipoic acid
  • Make sure to get enough B vitamins, especially vitamin B12

Many parents don’t know that about the harmful environmental agents that are impacting their children. The best way to find out whether your child is genetically predisposed to autism is by decoding their genes through our 360 DNA Report. It’s 100% safe and effective for children.

You’ll discover whether your child has detoxification issues as well as 37 other custom reports surrounding sleep, diet, nutrition, hormones, fitness, cardiovascular health, immunity, and behavior.

Each custom report includes your child’s genetic tendencies as well as practical steps you can take together to optimize their health and wellness. Your child is a unique individual, and they deserve health strategies that reflect their unique genome. Get started today. 

DNA 360 Lab Report
Turns Insights into Action
Your Custom DNA 360 Review

Through a sample of your saliva, we are able to extract the DNA information we need to provide you with a customized DNA 360 Review.