Overcoming Addiction: Inspiration at Its Fittest with Charlie Engle
AUGUST 15, 2023
Do you ever feel the need to turn your life around but you don't know how to?
The answer might be found through listening to the story of Charlie Engle as he shares about how he reached what seemed to be the impossible - 31 years of being sober, with the capability of running 31 hours straight at the age of 60. Getting to this point was a journey that started when he realized that the only way to save his life is by saving it himself.
In this episode, Kashif is joined by Charlie Engle. Charlie is a global ultra-endurance athlete who is the founder of the 5.8 Global Adventure Series, one of the most ambitious expeditions in modern history. He is also one of the most accomplished ultramarathon runners in the world. Charlie is also the author of his own memoir, Running Man, and has teamed up with Matt Damon for Water.org. He is the Co-founder of Freedom from Addiction, and an Ambassador for the Ashley Addiction Treatment.
As mentioned in the former paragraph, Charlie has achieved all these great things but behind that is a story of overcoming addiction. During his youth, Charlie had entered a life of drinking alcohol and consuming cocaine - both of which he had done over and over even when he had his first child. It wasn't until during one episode where something clicked with Charlie, and he wanted to save his life by finding alternative ways to fulfill his reward-seeking behaviour.
Throughout the discussion, Kashif pulls up Charlie's report and discusses how his DNA had impacted his life choices which includes binging. Kashif and Charlie also dove into the following topics:
- How addiction works
- The difference of pleasure and reward
- How different genes impact our lives based on different ages and contexts
- Changes that you can do the improve your own life
- Charlie's 31st Anniversary of being sober: Running 31 hours straight
- The purpose of physical activity
- How your community defines you
If you wish to learn more from Charlie, you may do so in the following channels:
- His website at https://www.charlieengle.com/
- Learn more about the World's First Global Adventure Series from the Lowest Places on Earth to the Highest Points on the Planet: https://www.5point8project.com/
- Watch Charlie's documentary, Running the Sahara (2009)
Try PectaSol Modified Citrus Pectin today to manage healthy inflammation levels to support your detox and weight loss goals! Listeners get 20% OFF with code UNPILLED20 at econugenics.link/unpilled
Follow the UNPILLED Podcast on Instagram (@unpilledpodcast) to receive updates on the UNPILLED Podcast!